Website Amesbury Chamber of Commerce
The Amesbury Chamber of Commerce is looking for an energetic, innovative, and experienced Executive Director (ED) with vision, passion, and proven leadership abilities to help businesses thrive within our historic community. The ED serves as a key community leader who provides strategic and operational direction. The person drives fundraising, marketing, and public relations in collaboration with the Board of Directors and Chamber members. The new ED will have an opportunity to bring new strategies, ideas, and services to our Chamber. The ED will also strive to grow membership, increase revenues, and elevate our organization in the area as our community grows and becomes more of a tourism destination.
The ED ensures the effective operation of the Chamber while coordinating all organizational activities including programs, membership, and relations with external organizations, employment, trainings, and customer service, supervision of staff and volunteers, and execution of the annual budget. The ED promotes partnerships and networking between local businesses, education, health care, government, and other organizations to build a strong economy. The ED’s role is to encourage growth in membership through advocacy and to educate the community about the benefits and advantages of Chamber membership.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Act as primary spokesperson for the organization; perform public relations and public speaking related to the Chamber’s interests.
- Represent the Chamber at various community and regional events and meetings to ensure a positive public image.
- Advance Chamber goals by maintaining effective relationships and communication with the membership and key stakeholders.
- Participate in community initiatives as well as regional and state-wide business and economic-related events.
- Advocate to elected officials on local, state, and federal issues important to the business community.
- Promote the business climate, encourage tourism, and advocate for the city’s wellbeing.
- Review and evaluate legislation which will impact the Chamber’s goals and policies, and discusses action with committees and the Board for study and future action.
Membership & Finances
- Lead membership development activities including new members and member retention sales, billing, and dues collection.
- Implement strategies with staff to improve member satisfaction.
- Accountable for growth in revenue and responsible spending.
- Work with the Board of Directors, Treasurer, and staff, to develop an annual budget that aligns with program of work, prepare and ensure accuracy, integrity, and timeliness of all financial accounting and reporting.
- Approve and process all accounts receivable, accounts payable, and all other basic accounting functions within the approved budget.
- Schedule and ensure completion of annual financial audit for Amesbury Chamber of Commerce and Alliance Charitable Foundation accounts.
- Provide administrative support and process phone, mail and email communications when necessary.
- Responsible for the location, design, and maintenance of facilities which will provide an efficient operation and positive image for the Chamber organization.
- Responsible for the hiring, and supervision of the Chamber staff, assigning their duties, overseeing work completed, and establishing terms of employment within the framework of the approved budget.
- Maintain personnel files and delivery of benefits as well as weekly tracking of time and attendance and payroll reporting.
- Implement personnel policies, conducts performance evaluations, and plans for participation in service training to further develop work skills.
- Demonstrates effective coaching skills and inspires staff to do their best.
Communications/Web Page/ Social Media
- Contribute to ensuring that all website and social media sites have accurate and up to date information.
- Utilize effective communication skills to counsel and advise on development of programs and activities affecting business community.
- Establish effective marketing strategies and plans using modern technology to meet the goals and needs of the organization and our community.
Program of Work
- Works with the Board of Directors to develop and maintain a long-term strategic plan, organize committees and resources to execute the plan, and identifies the programs that will ensure the successful delivery of services to the Chamber community.
- Maintains and develops reports and presents statistics of value to the Board of Directors.
- Identify and implement solutions to challenges that face the Chamber and community.
Board of Directors
- Assist the Board, committees, and members in the interpretation of Chamber By-laws, as established by the Board, in relation to any given question or program.
- Assist the Chair of the Board in preparation of statements of Chamber position on public issues.
- Assist Board Chair in planning, developing, and executing Board workshops as needed.
- Work with the Board Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary, and Treasurer to develop meeting agendas, minutes, and reports and present such information in a timely manner to the Board members prior to or at meetings.
- Provide orientation to all new Board Members.
- Responsible for maintaining organizational records and required filings for a 501(c)3 and 501 (c)6.
- Be available on-site for setup through cleanup at all events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- College degree preferred
- Three years of experience in work related to Chamber of Commerce leadership activities. Experience in non-profits, trade organizations or a Chamber of Commerce, preferred.
- History of creating and championing programs and initiatives that focus on increasing economic vitality and quality of life.
- Experience actively promoting an organization including an understanding of membership growth and retention.
- Knowledge and understanding of the business community in the region.
- Advanced knowledge of computer systems, specifically in social media and MS Office products (Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint, Outlook), and QuickBooks.
- Outstanding time management skills, excellent organizational skills, ability to multi-task and meet tight deadlines, attention to detail, and follow through.
- Advanced communication skills – verbal, non-verbal and listening skills with volunteers, members, peers, and co-workers
- Use of personal vehicle and cell phone required. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Flexible scheduling including early mornings, evenings during the week, weekends and possible holidays.
- Some lifting and carrying required.
- Ability to work in a variety of environments including but not limited to heights, elevators, around crowds, loud noises, flashings lights and on a variety of floor surfaces.
- Frequent walking, including stairs required.
- Full Time
- A minimum average time commitment will exceed 40 hours per week to fulfill the duties required of this exempt position.
- 52 weeks a year
- Office closed on Federal Holidays, 10 days paid time off.
- Unpaid sick time accrued according to MA state law.
- 6 month wait period to qualify for health insurance benefits [50% contribution to individual plan, 33% to family/dual/individual with child plan(s)]
Please submit salary requirements with a resume and cover letter to AmesburyChamberBoard@gmail.com.
This description is intended to provide an overview of the responsibilities and duties of the position. It is not all-inclusive. The incumbent may be required to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this description commensurate with the needs of the organization. The responsibilities may also change over time. This Position Description is provided for informational purposes only and does not form the basis of a contract.
To apply for this job email your details to AmesburyChamberBoard@Gmail.com